Sunday, April 15, 2012

Interests and Assignments

So I don't know if any of you know, but I am a huge Titanic nerd. I love the history behind it, and I watch everything I can when it's on TV.

This weekend was the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the ocean liner. While I was trying to watch things, I remembered my college writing professor who let us choose our research topic. I wrote about Captain Smith for my paper, and honestly, it was the most fun assignment I had in college. I was able to learn more about something I liked and get a grade for it.

That option is one that I think teachers should always have in the classroom. My professor gave us a thesis. It had to be persuading why someone was influential to history, and I think I made my case with Captain Smith. I wrote that ocean liners safety improved after the tragic sinking of Titanic.

Obviously more students would benefit from choices. I know I did. I will most likely allow that option in my classroom one day.

1 comment:

  1. I am very interested in the Titanic as well, and I remember a time in history class in 11th grade when we were allowed to choose a topic to do a project on. I chose Titanic, and I ended up making a poster that looked like the front page of a newspaper announcing the sinking of the ship. I had so much fun doing the assignment that it barely felt like an assignment for school! I am definitely pro-choices as well and will likely give my students the option in my classroom in the future.

    ReplyDelete